Thursday, October 11, 2018

14A – Halfway Reflection


1) Tenaciousness is a competency. What are the behaviors that you have used (or developed) to keep up with the requirements of this course?

a. If you are taking ENT 3003 you are going to learn real world skills. You will develop time management, organization, public speaking, interviewing, and idea development skills to name a few. Don’t be intimidated by some of these competencies if you are not good at them or haven’t practiced them in the past. The course guides you through learning these important life skills.



2) Tenaciousness is also about attitude. Talk about a moment or two when you felt like "giving up." What pulled you through? Do you feel like you've developed a tenacious attitude during the past two months? What experience or experiences most contributed to this?

a. I have never felt like giving up in this course. Putting aside the requirement to complete this course for my degree I started the journey with 100% confidence I would get to the end. However, relative to not giving up could be not starting. Before signing up for the course I groaned a little after reading what was required. I talked to myself about all the negative aspects I was comfortable with or didn’t really want to do. In hindsight, I am glad I took this class. It has really kicked my motivation level for education and business up a notch and the open style of teaching that promotes students to think is really refreshing.



3) Three tips. What are three tips you would offer next semester's student about (1) fostering the skills that support tenacity and (2) developing the 'tenacious mindset' ?

a. At the very beginning of the course read through the assignment descriptions and highlight the ones you are less comfortable with. Those are the ones you want to practice ahead of time. Items such as your first pitch and developing a hypothesis.

b. Pick your reading assignments ahead of time and start reading a little early with a few chapters per week. By the time you get to the reading assignment it should take you no time at all to complete it.

c. Pick a problem to solve that you are passionate about. You will be challenged by others that don’t necessarily think it’s worth pursuing but if you do then don’t let anyone persuade you otherwise.





3 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you on the fact that this course emphasizes critical thinking because of Professor Pryor’s teaching style and the way the grade is earned (especially the lack of exams). I also plan to take your advice on reading all of the assignments ahead of time to highlight the ones I might be less comfortable with as that might help plan for them ahead of time and avoid any unpleasant surprises.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you said that you were not sure about this class before the semester started. I like that because I was not so sure either, and I also agree with your statement that this class has been decently enjoyable once the semester started and that you learn a sort of critical thinking. Another thing that was good was the reading assignment tip, because that is definitely not a one night read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scott,
    Your strategy of reading ahead on future assignments to make sure you give them enough time and consideration is fantastic, especially for those of us that tend to procrastinate and attempt to do most any assignment at the last moments by the seats of our pants. I also think your tip to pick a product or idea that you are passionate about is the only true way to go about this class given the lengths we must go to in order to flesh out our ideas throughout all of the assignments, in addition to dealing with criticism from others in the class that may not understand your idea in the way that you do.

    ReplyDelete