Monday, November 26, 2018

26A - Celebrating Failure



1. Tell us about a time this past semester that you failed -- whether in this class, or outside of this class. Don't spare any details! It'd be even better if there was something you tried several times this semester, and failed each time.
I work in a very fast paced company and I am used to failure. We test a lot of hypothesis to get to the right solution, so you must have thick skin. In fact, you are going to fail more than you will succeed. This is something I have learned. I have failed in this class quite a few times also. I interviewed the wrong people. I completed the wrong assignments and missed deadlines I gave myself more than I can imagine.


2. Tell us what you learned from it.
I always learn from failing. In fact, I tell my kids not to be afraid to fail. I am a believer that failing is the path to success. I don’t know anyone that creating a worthy goal and didn’t fail along the way. They may have achieved that goal but it likely didn’t happen the way they thought it would. For me, failing is one step closer to achieving my goals.


3. Reflect, in general, on what you think about failure. Failure is hard, isn't it? It's embarrassing, sure, but it also means that we have to change something about ourselves. Talk about how you handle failure (emotionally, behaviorally). Finally, talk about how this class has changed your perspective on failure -- are you more likely to take a risk now than you were just a few months ago?
I think being an older student I have experienced failure more than some of the students who are in their late teens and early twenties. That’s ok, I understand they have had plenty of failures in their life already too. What I would like to say to them is – continue failing – just don’t give up on what you truly want. It’s there for the taking and you will get it if you put in the work. I deal with failure not as a ‘word’. I look at it as a decision problem. Maybe I didn’t have enough data – next time I need more data. Maybe it was a communication issue – I need to communicate more clearly. I first and foremost always look at my failures to become better. A better person, professional, husband, father, or whatever it is that I am striving toward. I wouldn’t say that I am more likely to take risks today than I was a few months ago but I feel better equipped to take on larger risks, especially in business, than I was a few months ago. I have really enjoyed this class and learned a lot.

1 comment:

  1. Scott,
    I am a fan of your outlook on failure as just one step on the path to growth. It is an optimistic outlook and allows one to both hope for a better future past their growth and to learn from their mistakes to make said growth happen. Your view is admirable and, in my opinion, advisable for everyone as long as they learn from and fix their mistakes when they try again.

    ReplyDelete