Title of the Opportunity: Digital Biz Cards
· Opportunity: ~10 billion business cards are
printed in the US every year. ~8 billion of them will be thrown out within a
week because the benefits of the product or service being offered is not
immediately realized or needed.
o
Who: Business professionals.
o
What: Their cards and information is discarded almost
immediately because they have little value at the time.
o
Why: People live in the moment and don’t need
their product or service at that given moment.
· Testing Who: There are various levels of who
across business categories. At the corporation level there are mid-high-level
employees that network on a frequent basis. They travel for conferences, invite
other businesses to present their opportunity, and attend functions that
promote their company. For small business owners that do not have the capital
to network as much still rely on these business cards to market their business
with the intent of generating revenue. Since we are talking about ice-breaking
with hopes to complete a transaction later, this could also be an opportunity
for non-business professionals that want to take the first step in meeting or
talking to other people.
· Testing What: Some of these business cards are
pushed on individuals. It’s not uncommon for someone to stick a business card
in your face as you walk by at a convention or attached to marketing mail you
receive at home. We have all seen the little jars in restaurants that allow you
to put your business card in with hopes you are drawn for a free lunch.
However, I believe the majority are legitimate transactions based on real human
interaction. What other reasons would individuals have to accept a business
card knowing they are just going to toss it in the trash can almost immediately?
· Testing Why: There is no need for the service
immediately make sense but then why take the business card in the first place?
Politeness or business etiquette maybe. A good portion of the ideas and pitches
are presented to individuals that have no buying power is another theory.
Interview #1 – Executive professional in a
large corporation that was very surprised to hear about the waste of business
cards. She felt that although she didn’t fit in this category she could see how
this can occur. I was informed during this interview that she only shares her
business card strictly with individuals that have expressed a service or
purpose that has the potential to make an immediate impact on her business. I
got the impression that at her level there’s not a lot of room for small talk.
She did express to me the importance of making backups or multiple copies and
notes of prospects and told me about an opportunity she missed because she
misplaced a contact.
Interview #2 – Myself. I wanted to get my
own perspective down on paper as an exercise because I have been in this
position several times. My goal is to really think through the hypothesis from
my position. I have certainly accepted business cards that shoved in my face
only to toss them in the trash less than 5 minutes after I get them. Why?
Because it was not something I asked for or needed. I have accepted them in
meetings from companies that present demos. Most of the time because they are
given to me at the beginning of a meeting. It is very rare for me to follow up
with any of these opportunities. The ones I want are the ones I ask for and the
ones I get excited about are when I am asked for mine after the
discussion.
Interview #3 – The sales manager I
interviewed was very interesting. He didn’t seem to care about the waste
factor. He informed me that he distributes as many business cards as he can to
a) get his name out b) believes that the more people he gives his business card
to the better chance of making a sale. When I pressed him on the second answer
he believes that due to his success it proves that it works. However, what was
interesting is that he couldn’t prove his mass distribution really contributed
to his sales transactions.
Interview #4 – The marketing professional I
interviewed next was interesting. She informed me that she keeps a Google
spreadsheet of everyone that she gives her business card to and those that she
has received. She wasn’t aware of the high number of waste but admitted to
discarding most of the business cards she receives. She was also not surprised
and told me her roommate gets on her case about killing trees when she brings
home a box of 500 business cards.
Interview #5 – This was an interesting
interview. A young gentleman that has just entered the workforce after graduating
college. I wanted to get a different perspective from a non-seasoned
professional. Once we got passed the “no need for business cards” and “that’s
what snapchat is for” we had an interesting conversation. In part because he
didn’t seem to observe the boundaries older professionals (like myself) do. A
business card to him is considered “old school” and something he believed would
be lost in a matter of minutes. When I asked him about the need for maintaining
contacts that could be opportunities to better his situation in the future he
informed me that it would be cool if he could get a girl’s number without going
through the stress.
· What do you know now that you didn’t before?
o
Based on my lowered belief of my first
opportunity assessment I learned a lot during this exercise. My original idea
was merely a solution looking for a problem. However, I think I found a real
problem here. Everyone I talked to had no idea about the volume of business
cards that are printed each year or the level of which they are discarded (88%)
in such a short period of time.
o
I also learned that different professionals
utilizing these business cards had different ideas about their purpose.
o
A real eye opener was the lack of recall to whom
individuals distribute their information to.
o
Given what I learned in my last interview there
may be more opportunities with a broader audience.
I like the lengthy process you went through and how you realized that the original idea was more of a solution than an actual problem. I also agree that the true problem lies in the excessive amount of 88% of cards discarded after one week, it could also be an incentive for individuals and businesses who are trying to be more environment-friendly.
ReplyDelete