Economic Trend – Baby Boomers are a Big Market
Belief the Opportunity Exists – With a generation entering
retirement and accounting for almost 50% of the economy I have a hard time thinking
there’s not opportunity in this market. Then when I read that 80% are choosing
the route of entrepreneurship, 86% are members of brand loyalty programs, and
70% of disposable income in the US is controlled by Baby Boomers I get more
excited!
Prototypical Customer – The prototypical customer in this
segment is born between 1946 through 1964. Estimated last year at approximately
74 million.
Opportunity Easy/Difficult to Exploit – I believe
opportunities in this segment would be easy to exploit.
Why I saw the opportunity – I am certainly not the first to
see this opportunity, but I think I grabbed on to it because we tend to think
of our older generation as retirees that want to go off and play golf or fish
or cribbage. This generation wants to be more active, engaged, and keep on
working.
Economic Trend – Generation Z
Belief the Opportunity Exists – In this generation we have a
makeup very close to that of Baby Boomers where 72% want to be entrepreneurs. More
than a quarter of the population is made up of this generation. They are
resourceful and self-serving.
Prototypical Customer – Born from the mid 1990’s to the
early 2000’s making up 25% of the US population. Larger than the Baby Boomer
population overall.
Opportunity Easy/Difficult to Exploit – This will be a more
difficult opportunity to exploit. This generation relies on instant gratification
and results immediately. Many of us older students have children in this
generation and understand how hard it is to keep their attention for 5 minutes.
Why I saw the opportunity – I have kids in this generation.
Regulatory Changes – Net Neutrality
Belief the Opportunity Exists – I am not a big believer in
Government regulation of the Internet. Who decides who the traffic cop is and
how do we make sure they are not bias. The internet has thrived on its own
allowing startup companies to take advantage of the infrastructure and disrupt
markets. Why is that a problem? I agree with the graphic shown in the article,
we have provided a solution and are now looking for a problem.
Prototypical Customer – I think this hits the larger
companies and entrepreneurs looking to take on companies like Facebook,
Netflix, Twitter more so than smaller entrepreneurs/businesses.
Opportunity Easy/Difficult to Exploit – This would be a
tough one to exploit as you have to be in a position to be in competition with
the large companies mentioned above.
Why I saw the opportunity – I believe I see the opportunity
because I have always seen the Internet as a free zone to be opportunistic in
the same time-period Google, Facebook, Twitter, and Netflix grew from ideas to
big business.
Regulatory Changes – Association Health Plans
Belief the Opportunity Exists – I really like this idea and
we use it to bargain throughout the United States. Think of Costco, Sams, or
Medishare more specifically.
Prototypical Customer – Any group of customer. Think of a
wide range from Carpenters to Contstruction Workers, or Teachers to Education
professionals banding together to create their own association and bargaining
group.
Opportunity Easy/Difficult to Exploit – I believe this would
be a tough one to exploit as the majority of these folks are already enrolled
in employee or union based plans.
Why I saw the opportunity – I recently dropped my insurance
to go with my wife’s insurance plan that wasn’t great but much cheaper than
mine.
I really like your post about the Baby boomers. I think that the overall statistics were cool and I really liked the one about how they account for around 50% of our economy and they are all going to retire soon. I think that it is a window of opportunity for our generation to walk into the vacant positions that they are leaving behind. I like all of your posts, but that is the one that grabbed my attention the most.
ReplyDeleteI couldn't agree more with your statement about baby boomers wanting to do more than just golf and fish. They actually do want to be more engaged and I think that is a misconception most people have about that generation which affects the way they cater to their needs. I also like what Chris brought up about the vacant positions they might be leaving behind.
ReplyDelete